A good hearty chili is not only a vegan (or vegetarian) staple, it is also a great way to clean out your pantry or fridge! I like to make this at the end or beginning of a new week with all of the veggies I didn’t use the week before. The key to a great chili is lots of variety. My list of ingredients is fairly flexible since, like most of my recipes, you can add or subtract as much as you would like.
- 1 Can kidney beans
- 1 Can white beans
- 1 Can black beans
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 C frozen corn
- 1 C salsa
- Leftover veggies
- Ground beef or turkey (if you eat meat)
- 1 Can tomato paste
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 C chicken or veggie broth
- Cumin, Chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, etc. to taste
- Saute onions and garlic with some oil in a big pot.
- Add broth and desired spices, bring to a boil.
- Add in all veggies and cooked ground meat.
- Simmer on medium heat until veggies are soft and cooked through, about ten to fifteen minutes.
- Add in beans last to avoid them getting too soft and turning to mush. Stir together and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Enjoy with your favorite chili toppings including avocado, sour cream, cilantro, cheese, tortilla chips, etc.