My absolute favorite soup and a perfect party pleaser! I have fed this vegan recipe to my father, a sceptic and born carnivore, and he not only had high praises for it, but ate seconds! It is the perfect blend of peanut buttery and savory. Make sure to add the ginger, even if you are not a fan. I absolutely hate ginger but it gives this soup a great rounded flavor. This also goes well with my Quick, Easy, and Cheesy bread and some salad. Sometimes we will also serve it over rice or thin rice noodles. Enjoy!
- 6 C vegetable broth
- 1 red onion
- 1-2 T powdered ginger
- 2 T garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Bunch kale (or spinach if you don’t like kale, but I recommend the kale as the spinach cooks down and gets a slimy texture)
- 1 C peanut butter (I use smooth)
- 1 can tomato paste
- whole peanuts
- sour cream
- Bring broth to a boil. Add onion, garlic, salt, ginger. Cook on medium for about 15 minutes, or until the onions are nice and see through.
- In a separate, heat resistant bowl, mix the tomato paste and peanut butter. Make sure the bowl is big enough to add a few cups of broth. Add the broth slowly and mix together until the consistency is like a very thick soup. Pour this mixture back into the soup. You can do this a few times if the mixture does not mix very well.
- While you let that simmer on the stove for about five minutes, roughly chop up and add the kale. (I generally chop the pieces fairly small.) Cook for another 5-10 minutes, or until the kale is cooked through. (If you are using spinach, I would add it right at the end to avoid sliminess.)
- Your soup is ready! Add peanuts, Sriracha, sour cream, some cheese, etc for extra deliciousness!